Monday, May 30, 2011

I get the award

Today I hereby present myself with the award for the worst mother.

Lachlan, who is nearly 6, is sick. He has a cold - constant runny nose, watery eyes, chesty cough, sneezing repeatedly, sore throat, mucus, did I mention the runny nose?

So he stayed home from church on Sunday and from school on Monday. He was ok in the morning on Monday but as the afternoon wore on he became warmer and more miserable and so he took himself off and laid on Hayden's bed. He went to sleep and the next I knew it was 5pm and he was standing behind me in the kitchen concerned about the regurgitated peanut butter sandwich which was all down his sleeve.
Here is where I can praise my mothering. I was lovely. Comfort, calmness, love, hugs. You name it I did it. So long story short he skipped dinner, had a shower, and got ready for bed.
While choosing his book for bed, he vomited again. New pj's, rug removed from the bedroom.
Take 2. All good. Asleep within secs of being tucked in!

At 11pm I was brushing my teeth when I hear "Mum! Help! Mum!" I rush in and catch the second lot of vomit. New pj's. New sheets. Toilet trip. Drink. Asleep again within secs.

Phew! I thought. That will the last. There's nothing left in the poor kid's stomach.

At 3.30am I heard footsteps to the toilet and was about to get up when I heard Elliot's voice asking Lachlan if he was ok. Great, I think, he's got it covered I'll stay here. Poor Lachlan does his business then has to vomit again. Poor kid :(
Elliot came back at 3.45am and I was suddenly having visuals of Natalie lying in a pool of vomit so I had to then get up and go and check on her. Sleeping peacefully.

Anyway, I thought Lachlan had done ok only getting up once in the night. I thought he must have had a reasonably settled night.

But not so. Talking to Elliot this morning I became aware of my failure as a loving mother.

After the 11pm ordeal there was the 12.30am. Then the 3.30am one (which I was aware of) and then apparently another ordeal at 5am.

Yes. I slept through it all. I was not aware AT ALL.

So I hope you all feel better about your day now knowing that there is a worse mother than you out there.

ME. I sleep through my poor sick child emptying his stomach repeatedly.
Who does that? I feel dreadful. But thankfully he has a BRILLIANT dad.
'

9 comments:

  1. ok well that definitely do NOT award you as a bad mother!!!
    I would gladly sleep during the night if my awesome husband got up and helped out. It's called tag team and fantastic team work.
    You were obviously exhausted (which what mother isn't when looking after constantly throwing up or just sick children in general) and on top of that you have a baby and another child!
    I'm sure Lachlan is extremely happy with how you both looked after him and wasn't upset that you weren't there during those other 2 times cause he had his dad who was probably just as loving when he was sick as you were.
    It's ok - you needed the rest to get through the next day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say rest up because if its a vomiting bug...it will get all of you. Thats the worst part, waiting to see who gets it next. Goodluck!!! And it sounded to me like you did a great job! ( I have seen so many facebook posts about gastro in the last week I feel like staying inside for a month ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. give yourself a break Bev!!!! You're still a breastfeeding mother and while you might feel and definitely SEEM to be superwoman 100% of the time, your working your slim little body to the bone every day! You play with your kids, you feed and clothe your kids, you drive said kids around to parks, school, classes etc etc etc. You make ME feel like the worst mum ever just by your natural AWESOMENESS - so - I think sleeping through one nights episodes of sickness doesn't seem to indicate BAD MOTHER but rather says EXHAUSTED SPENT WASTED mother! :) :) :) Hopefully you got a good rest and can be up to your usual standard tomorrow night! :) :) :)And yes, thank goodness for awesome husbands hey - but as someone already said - awesome team work! These are their kids too! Don't let the guilts get you down! xxx xxx xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. that really wasnt Ystyn commenting - it was me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all: I want to know why I never got my own rather spiffy looking shiny cup (had the title but not the cup).
    Second: it doesn't sound at all as if you deserve yours in the least.
    (Maybe give Elliot the cup and retitle it 'the very helpful and wonderful husband and father award' :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Sandy! After having three kids in three and a half years my body's so exhausted I hardly wake up in the night at all anymore. Steve does it. He's alright... he gets the days to work at his nice clean desk without anyone jumping on him, stealing his lunch or wiping snot on his clothes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I put the throwing up boys in the bed with me so I don't have to get up. Then when I hear them start to move, I'm there with the bucket so there are no accidents and less mess to worry about. And if there is a little spill, that's what towels are for. Changing sheets can wait till morning. I sleep better knowing that I am right there and don't have to go far to check on them or worry. They do too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha Bev, you make me laugh. I have a fear of vomiting. When Gavin is sick, I'm not just sleeping through it, I've already bolted out the door, down the street! If I hear it. it gets me:) So I'll snag that award from you...worst wife ever:):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's only been since having baby number 2 that I even ever wake up to either of them in the night - and I still never hear Maggie. I only hear Ana because she rips out an unearthly shriek and I am bolt upright in bed before I realise it! I am impressed that you feel guilty - I am afraid I would feel a tiny bit relieved knowing that James had handled so many night time trips without me! Re: your last post - I missed you!

    ReplyDelete